starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Perenially Geeky

I love perennials. I’m a novice gardener, and don’t have much money for it. As a result I am a scavenger, taking clippings from other people’s gardens (with their permission, mostly), digging wildflowers out of the edges of our yard and moving them into my garden, an elliptical slice of dirt along the side of our house. For the past couple of years it hasn’t looked like much. Things just didn’t seem to be taking that well, and I got discouraged. Then, last weekend, I pulled on my gloves and pulled all the dead leaves and grass, all the weeds, out of the garden plot. And to my wonder and delight, it actually looks like a garden! There are clumps of healthy green plants spaced evenly (well, at least in the part the dog didn't dig up last year). I’ve got dwarf daisies, bee balm, columbine, yarrow (which grows uncontrollably all over our property), lily of the valley, one lovely little blue-green hosta plant, one behemoth hosta plant, a wild rose bush that I can’t control, yellow irises, and last but not least, my mint plant that I thought I had lost because it didn’t come back last year, but is the best mint tea I have ever had. When I was pulling out the comfrey (the planting of which had been a huge mistake), I kept smelling mint, even though last year it hadn't come back (or at least, I couldn't find it). I located a tiny little patch under a bunch of grass and leaves, and have been nurturing it since.


Fascinating, I'm sure. Okay, now I feel like a geek.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Perennials excite me, too. We planted moss roses last year in the rock/flower bed we created to cover the ugly and illogical sidewalk against the front of our house. Because we'd put about two inches of soil directly on top of a concrete slab that no doubt gets very cold in the winter, we were sure that the moss roses--perennial or not--would have to be replanted this year. But a week ago, while weeding in preparation for my grad party, I found two tiny clusters of leaves that looked like moss roses, so I left them. Now lots of them are pushing up between the rocks, and I'm waiting...hoping enough will come back that I won't have to buy more.

4:35 PM  
Blogger erin said...

i love moss roses - they're so pretty and unique

6:09 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I have been fighting off my desire for annuals. It is hard, but I have gained a new appreciation for perrenials (Hostas especially).

My garden is still 2/3 annuals, but I am working on it.

Part of the problem is that the zone I live in makes a lot of perennials, annuals. GRRR.

Moss roses are very hardy and lovely...perfect for a rock garden.

My FAVORITE thing to grow is herbs. Especially Thyme because you can use it all through the winter...just brush the snow off.

Sorry to invade your blog and barf about plants, but this post was very exciting to me.

You are not a lone garden-geek.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

If you're a geek, than I'm a geek too. And since I KNOW I'm a geek...yes, you probably are also.

However, I don't think there is anything geeky about gardening. If there's one thing I miss right now is just that. Yesterday I turned the soil in our flower bed...all 4 square feet of it. This year most of my green thumbing will be done in pots that we can take with us when we move.

But as for mint...I dug some up before we sold the house and planted it in our rented back yard. My plan is to dig it up and take it with me every time we move. Transient mint (yum). I wonder how many addresses it will live at?

Happy gardening. :)

12:05 PM  
Blogger erin said...

one of the coolest things about perennials is that you can split them, share them, and take them with you when you go. I do most of my herb gardening in pots so I can move them around for sun, and drag them inside (hopefully) before that unexpected frost that we come to expect.
i don't mind being a geek, but it's nice to know i'm not alone!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home