starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Go Ahead - Judge a Book by Its Cover

I got two books this weekend from a friend – both slim little paperbacks printed in the early seventies – both 1971, I think. Hunter S. Thompson’s Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, and Richard Brautigan’s The Abortion: An Historical Romance 1966. There’s something nice about reading a book that is of the original vintage, so to speak. These books were conceived in the 70’s and printed in the 70’s, and so the sensibility of the book: the cover, the font, etc., is such a part of the time. The Brautigan book has this great photograph on the front.


The point is, I don’t care what they say. I do judge a book by its cover, all the time. The pleasure of the reading is all wrapped up in the physicality of a book, isn’t it? Reading ugly books is difficult, or books of an awkward size, or icky paper. I don’t like books that are shiny in that sticky plasticky way. My favorite books tend to have that smooth satiny matte finish. I also like the pocket sized old school pulp paperback. These two fall in that category, most definitely. Anyway, very exciting happenings at Toad Lake over the weekend. New books are always exciting – especially cool vintage free books. Or is it just me?

2 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

When I get a new book, I spend a lot of time turning it over in my hands, examining the cover, running my thumb across the edge of the pages to make that new book smell (or old musty book smell, as the case may be) float up toward my face. I think I take almost as much pleasure in IMAGINING reading a new book as I do in actually reading it.

9:35 AM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

The look and feel of a book cover matters to me, but not enough to keep holding onto a book with nothing much of interest to me between its covers.

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home