starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Slackjaw

I just finished reading Slackjaw, by Jim Knipfel, again. It's been a few years, but it's just as funny and sad as I remember. For those of you who don't know the book, Jim Knipfel writes (wrote?) a series of articles called "Slackjaw," as well as a few non-fiction books, and now The Buzzing, a novel. This guy is like Charlie Brown with really bad karma. I think the Chicago Sun-Times says it best, on the back cover of the book: "For a guy who has attempted suicide several times, he sure is funny."
But this book isn't about his suicide attempts (or at least, not mainly about them). Nor is it about his time spent in a locked psych ward (for that experience, check out his book Escaping the Nairobi Trio- also worth a read).
No. This book is about him slowly going blind due to genetic disease. Could things get any worse? Yes. Add drinking problems, suicidal tendencies, a love of reading and writing, an ill-advised marriage, rage seizures, and the Nihilist Worker's Party, and you've got the general idea.
Somehow, through being brutally honest and absolutely refusing to be melodramatic, Knipfel emerges heroic, wielding his Blind Man cane (as he calls it), which, when you try to beat someone with it, goes flubbity flubbity.
Kinda puts things in perspective. I feel like an asshole for bitching about my shoulder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home