starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Thank god for Spring Break. My energy is just petering out, dribbling away throughout the semester. I could actually use spring break this week, but it's kind of nice that i will actually be as far at the end of my rope as I can be, and then will be rescued by some serious time off. I have to admit it, I'm a wimp: the commuting thing is starting to get me down. You'd think it'd be harder during the dead of winter, when I'm leaving in the dark and such. But no, it's right about now, halfway through the semester, when my shoulders begin to protest ill-usages. I have to admit, they have a point: books and laptops and duffle bags and skis and extra boots, etc. etc. My car has reverted back to my second home (more than it was already): extra clothes live there, music, overdue books, empty coke bottles and coffee cups. I've never understood people whose cars aren't full of stuff like that. Who are these people, and how do they keep their cars so clean? More to the point, what does that say about them (or me)?

5 Comments:

Blogger Froyd said...

people who don't have junk in their cars aren't living life to its fullest.

to even QUALIFY for living life to its fullest you either have to have sports equipment, or at the very least a sleeping bag, in your car.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I have a blanket in my trunk (which I've laid on the grass for a nap in the park). Otherwise my car is relatively clean. Do I qualify?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

As for the waning of your energy--several of my students wrote somewhat extensively about the same thing. Their exhaustion was so heartfelt. Yes, I think it's time. We all need a little break.

As for clean cars...sometimes when I'm walking to school or wherever, following a line of parallel parked cars I can't help but look in as I pass and wonder about the owners. And I too am most perplexed by those that can keep a clean interior. I occassionally promise myself that I'll keep my own car clean (usually after the bi-annual cleaning)...but it never works out. What kind of person is capable of that? How does their brain work? Obviously not like mine. :)-

9:34 AM  
Blogger erin said...

yes, froyd and i both know the value of keeping a sleeping bag in your car - after all, you never know...
amber, it doesn't surprise me that you are a clean car person - it's an admirable trait, and one that i am completely without. ps - you get points for having a nap-blanket in the car (almost as good as a sleeping bag), and jessie - i too am a nosy car peeker - i can't walk by one without looking to see whatever there is to see.

10:09 AM  
Blogger nrlaumei said...

When I still had a car I prided myself on keeping weird shit in it -- just for the car snoopers ('cause I'm one, too). Like, fairy wings made with a hanger and an orange life-preserver made with duct tape and spray paint.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home