starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Art Is Hard

Poor Jessie. That is a sad and lonely feeling. I think one of the hardest things about any art is that it is usually entirely self-motivated. No one else really gives a shit if you press on through or decide to give it all up. It only really matters to you, and that has to be enough.

But sometimes it is not. It is so important to feel that we are being appreciated, validated. Not necessarily the art itself, but a recognition of the difficulty of what we are attempting, the effort involved, and the fear and vulnerability that go hand in hand with the creation of something entirely new and completely personal.

And it stinks. To feel like, after two years of hard effort and a high level of personal and emotional involvement, you really are just another student to them. To you, it has been life-changing. It has been a deep and meaningful journey of self-discovery and awareness. To them, you are another paper to be gotten through. (Although, I must admit, one would necessarily expect a higher level of involvement and respect, for chrissakes, for a thesis proposal). That's a little slap in the face, especially when you have really put yourself into your work, instead of taking the easy way out (which you could have done).

So, girl, here’s what I say: Screw the bastards. If they’re so caught up in the intricacies of administration and bureaucracy that they start treating students like numbers and forgetting that the most important thing a teacher can do for a student is be involved in the relationship, they don’t deserve your best effort. Reserve that for yourself alone. You deserve your best effort, your writing does, and your art does. It is the fact that you are so involved in your work that makes it great, and will make you a great teacher as well. Maybe you’re in love with your work (which is only right, for an artist and teacher). And we all know, love hurts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

You know, I was walking down the trail by the lake today thinking that writing is the hardest job there is. The trail was saturated in green with a heavy smell of rain and soil--and the good thing about being a writer is that you notice those kinds of things. And as I walked, despite the disappointment, I felt satisfied with the my life and the work that I have done. But yes--it is hard work. It's made of heart and guts and doesn't get you anywhere except further down your own path.

The positive side to all of this is that these experiences will keep me true to myself. I'm glad I didn't get my thesis done in time. It is no longer for "them"--it's for me.

So anyway, thanks for writing this. Thanks for understanding. And most of all, thanks for being such a good friend.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm glad you posted this and Jessie knows how we all feel. You said it all!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home