starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Stuck? Scared? Stuck, therefore Scared? Scared, therefore Stuck? Crap.

I'm stuck. Or maybe I'm scared (maybe you got this from the title). At any rate, I'm definitely intimidated. I'm writing a new story, well, actually I've got about three on the stove right now. And they're all stuck in the same spot. Arg. So frustrating. All three of them are just out of my reach, like when you're going after that bowl that you don't use often but is gorgeous and sits atop your kitchen cabinets, and your fingertips keep brushing the rim, but you can't quite grab it. Of course, maybe someone else would do the sensible thing, get a stepladder and calmly retrieve the bowl. But not me. That would make sense, indicate logic and proactive problem-solving. What I usually do is keep jumping, keep brushing it with my fingertips until it wobbles and falls, and then hope that I can catch it before it shatters and/or kills me. Right now, I feel like any one of these stories could tumble, shatter and/or kill me in the process.

The problem is, I have to make decisions. Usually when I am writing and it is decision time, if I don't know what to do I take a deep breath (wait a few days, a few weeks, whine about it to friends like jessie and amber), then jump in like it's a pool that I know is really friggin' cold, come up gasping, and start doggy-paddling. That has been a pretty good system. But this time, not to belabor the pool metaphor, but I am in way over my head. I need to make decisions, but have no basis from which to make them. I feel like I know just enough about writing to get myself in trouble. You know how sometimes, the more you learn about something, the more difficult it gets? I try not to make writing to much of a conscious process in terms of mechanics, at least until a certain time, after which I become painfully meticulous.

But this is about changes in time and space more than anything else, and I'm not sure what to do. I know that any changes I make don't have to be permanent, I have saved a copy as an alternate version that I can mess with, and still have the previous draft to go back to if I have to trash my efforts. But I still can't do it. I can't make the changes. There's this part of me that knows that even though the changes on the paper aren't permanent, if I change the story, the change in the way I see it will be permanent. I won't be able to see it the way I saw it before. And that scares the crap out of me.

And so I blog, and I make fruit salad, and I weed my garden and check the mail, and paint furniture and make pants. But the whole time, in the back of my head, in the back of my throat, there is panic. I tiptoe around it, dance up to it to see if it is still there, and retreat quickly when I find that it is, that as soon as I approach it the feeling in my throat slides down into my chest. So I tiptoe away and force it back where it was, knowing that I should meet it head on, but lacking the strength. What a wuss.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Boy, this post really makes me want to smoke a cigarette and ruminate(I like that word, but is that what I'm trying to say?) over this (temporary) dilema.

To be honest, I wish we were sitting at Dunn Bros. It's easier to discuss these sorts of things in person. :)-

I hate that sense of fear that sometimes (ok--often, usually, almost always) comes with writing. But in my experience, that fear is often a sign of getting close to something good. It's scary because you're not jumping into a pool clearly marked 5', but off of a goddamn cliff with a rushing current and sharp rocks below.

And I understand your difficulty in "playing around" and making changes to your story. I feel that way when I paint. If I screw up badly enough, the junk underneath is always there, in my mind anyway...and so there is a stack of canvases in my studio that will probably never go anywhere because of mistakes that I can't seem cover up.

Ok...but this isn't helping is it.

Let me put it this way:
I HAVE SUPREME FAITH IN YOU ERIN!!!

And now I must back-track in order to say thank you for the comment you left today. My god, it had me on the verge of tears! The reason I am bringing this up now is because I have just spent the past year looking up to YOU and your writing abilities. To be honest, I am absolutely amazed that you can sit somewhere and tippity-tappity-type such kick-ass stories as though it's nothin' at all.

So you've hit a snag...but I'm not kidding, I have absolute faith that you'll work your way past it, that you'll catch the falling bowl before it hits the ground and the fact that it nearly broke will make your story that much more interesting! Anyway, it's not a good story until it gets under your skin. It's rash season...but don't worry, I have a feeling you will work it out soon.

Maybe we just need a good rain.
You know, to clear the air.

ps.
Did I mention that I like the title of this post? Uh--I knew I'd be able to relate!

Good luck. JUMP!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Holy shit, that was a long comment.
:)-

11:48 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Jessie's comment has me totally intimidated, and I concur completely, so I'm just going to say that it's reassuring that both of you are also afraid of writing sometimes. It's such an unpleasant part of being a writer. But once I get past the fear and make those tough decisions, I get to do the fun part of writing: spinning out the story, inventing details, surprising myself in every paragraph. (That came out of MY head? From where?) So. I hope you get to the fun part soon.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Sorry, I hit post before I meant to.

I admire anyone who attempts to write at all.

I gave it up. I just can't make up,organize, tweak and polish, fiction of any kind.

As for getting stuck...

I think though, that a lot of stuff like this tends to churn and work at all times in your brain.

I don't look at weeding, blogging, etc. as wastes of time...it just provides needed space for stuff to sort itself before something ZAPS, and your fingers fly over the keys again.

You'll slay the bastards when you're ready.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home