starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Protector of the Pack


This is my pooch, Zoë. This is her worried look. She worries a lot, and with good reason. We rescued Zoë when she was three, and she is nine now. When we got her she was 96 pounds (70-ish now) with a huge weeping sore on her neck and rampant ear infections. Life had been rough, just one of neglect mostly, and she had been forgotten about too many times. Sometimes they would forget to feed her, then remember and feel bad and feed her too much. Sometimes she got left outside overnight, and sometimes it was storming. She’s had bladder stones, infections galore. The dog is allergic to grass, and most of the summer we have to keep her on doggie Benadryl. We call her diphenhydra-dog.
She worries for her own safety, but she especially worries for ours. When one of us is sick she sticks close by, and licks hands for comfort. When there is a thunderstorm, as there was last night, Zoë stays awake, trembling, sure that the ramparts are being stormed, concerned for the security of our little pack.
Today she is snoozing in the armchair in my office, making up for lost sleep last night. As she gets older, she sleeps more of the time, and grunts and groans like an old person when she lays down and gets up. She also sighs in disdain at many of our antics (young whippersnappers), and her eyebrows shift and twitch in disbelief at the silliness of humans.
In a way, she reminds me of Nanny, from Peter Pan (I should get her a mobcap). It’s sort of nice knowing she’s there, watching out for me, saving me from the onslaught of woodland creatures that breach the security of our yard on a regular basis, and all the other threats the outside world has to offer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

ohh, i love your dog. she looks like a sweetheart and i want to wrap my arms around her and give her a big hug. she also makes me want to get another dog. geez, i could cry just lookin' at her.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Thanks for sharing Zoe. She's very pretty.

11:37 PM  
Blogger erin said...

she is a total sweetheart, and loves nothing better than to lie across my lap while i'm reading - a 70 pound lap dog!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Look at that face! What a sweetie. I can see the Nanna reference. Awwwweeeee...

10:55 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Today is HOT--and now I want not only your dog but the snow she is sitting in too!

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home