starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Inland Empire


We're very excited here on the Toad Lake homestead. David Lynch's new movie, Inland Empire, is out! I'm not really in a position to comment on its popularity - generally I don't like to know much about a movie before I see it. Especially a David Lynch movie - no preconceived notions, please. It's going to be tricky enough trying to figure out what the hell is going on without trying to fit someone else's understanding into it. Instead, I prefer to revel in my own personal confusion, the recurrent giggling while murmuring, "wtf?"

Anyway, apparently it's three hours long, and Lynch sums up the premise with three words, "Woman In Trouble." It's all done on digital video, on a camera that cost about $1300. But people are saying (I've heard this much at least - it's really just spoilers I try to stay away from) that the story is so engrossing that after a while you just don't even notice the video effect. That kind of thing doesn't really bother me anyway - remember Dancer in the Dark, that Lars von Trier movie starring Bjork (she wore that funky swan dress to the awards)? I didn't even mind that camera effect. Plus, I've seen the trailer and he seems to use it to good effect.

Check out below for "Nate & Matt meet David Lynch (and a cow)." It's pretty hilarious. I love David Lynch - I think he's cute. He probably wouldn't know exactly what to make of that. But what I love even more is that such a cute tender-type man could be creating such wierd, twisted and hilarious films. The perfect man.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home