starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Friday, December 08, 2006

One Degree

So, yesterday on the way home from Bemidji, I'm listening to the radio, they're giving the weather, and the man says, "And right now, it's one degree."

One degree.

Somehow that seemed even worse than a negative number (Well, okay, not as bad as negative 42, which we hopefully won't see until January). But, one is the loneliest number, after all. That one sad, little, lonely degree made the night seem impossibly colder.

Of course, it feels like it's colder than that now, and if my computer weren't an antique I would have the space to download weather bug so that I could confirm that for you. It's probably just the fact that I live in a tiny house built in the 1920's with single pane windows and an excuse for insulation. But I know that it's cold enough that I'm going to abandon my office (in a corner of the house) for the much warmer and, at this hour, sunny living room to write my Statement of Purpose.

On a different note, yesterday I sent off my writing sample to Cornell. It was my first writing sample I've sent out for the MFA Apps. I felt like I was sending my babies off to war - be safe and stay warm. And don't let them tell you you're not good enough!

I'm going to go wrap myself in fleece. Welcome to northern Minnesota.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Oh wow. Cornell. I'm too chicken (about money, mostly, but also of well-deserved rejection) to apply to any schools without the name of a state within their name. Good for you. And congratulations on sending the first writing sample. And good luck, too.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Holy snot. It was TWO degrees when I visited, so I should count myself lucky, I suppose.

P.S.

I can now say that I would miss coffee with Jessie every Wednesday PAINFULLY. She's wonderful.

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home