starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Monday, November 20, 2006

My Bitchin' Portfolio

I just finished my portfolio for my creative non-fiction class. Well, not really finished - I still have the folder to acquire and stylize, but the content is done, and prettified.

Usually when I have to put together a portfolio for a class, I am dull in the extreme. I print out all my work in Times New Roman 12 with one inch margins, staple things together, and put them in any folder I can scrounge up in my house, and am done with it in short order.


This time, for what reason I'm not sure, I've gone a little further. Maybe it's because I'm drowning in MFA applications, and the last thing I want to do is look at something in Times New Roman, or make it look like a business plan.

I didn't go crazy with it, because I know that if I was a teacher, I would appreciate a certain amount of creativity, but only if combined with readability. In my view, a portfolio should not be a challenge to the professor that has a towering stack of them on his desk. That's just asking for it (and not very thoughtful, besides). But I am planning a trip to Ben Franklin today, to their astoundingly huge paper selection, to garner inspiration for a cool-type envelope, file, what-have-you.

My favorite thing about the portfolio? The font. I likes it. I've scanned the first page, my artist statement, so that you can all share in the joys of Bodoni MT Bold with me. How is it I never saw this font before?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

i love what you wrote (i clicked on it so i could read it). and i agree, the font is awesome. it looks like a published book page...maybe that's what makes it so appealing. ;)

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home