starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Homebody's Going Home

Thank God, you're saying. For once it's not panic blahblahblah, school blahblahblah. No, not today. Because today I get to go home. To Big Toad Lake (and how could you not be happy to be going home to such a place - it's like living in The Wind In The Willows).

I am a homebody. If I'm not in Bemidji I am home, and that means I hardly leave our property. I wear pjs all day long. I walk down our gravel road with the dog and look at the reeds and the skeletal trees in the marshes that line the road. I walk down the driveway to get the mail. I do dishes. I do laundry (my favorite chore, because it is the coziest one - I love burying my arms in fresh warm laundry). I bake bread and other bad-for-us goodies that j chastises me for making and then devours. I putter around and try to write. I read bad fiction and good fiction. I snuggle up with the pooch in our favorite armchair and read, read, read (this is harder than it sounds - she is a 70 pound chocolate lab who thinks she is a lap dog). I don't answer the telephone (much to the consternation of my mother, who, although she has known me for 32 years, still cannot accept that I hate the phone, have always hated the phone, and will not talk on the phone).

As per a request from Kassandra, I will soon be posting pictures of Toad Lake Manor (as I refer to our home). I just drew her a pretty nice aerial view, which, if I can get it scanned, will be appearing shortly.

Just one more reason to stay tuned!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

oh man...i wanna walk down dirt roads in my pajamas and read books with a 70 pound dog in my lap and bury my arms in warm laundry. most of all, i want to live in a place that feels like a world removed. have i ever told you how much i loved the wind in the willows as a kid? oh, you are a very lucky woman. it makes me seriously miss life in the country. oh man... it makes me miss it badly.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home