starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Pre-GRE Freak-out!

I feel sick. The GRE is today, this morning, at 9:30. I've never had test anxiety before, so this is new, and I don't like it. For all you out there who have always felt this way - bummer. it sucks.

I got to school too early, because of reports of impending snow and my own miscalculations (due, I think, to confusion caused by Daylight Savings Time, which always messes me up for about a week). So I've got over an hour to kill before I have to head over the the testing center (a laughable name, as it is a closet filled with boxes and a desk with a computer). So I'm trying to de-blog my anxiety.

I'm not sure what exactly I'm nervous about. This is, in fact, a trial run - an extra test I scheduled so that if I really screwed up I could just take it again in November. So what's the deal?

I guess it's just been so long since I've been put under standardized testing conditions. Last time I took the GRE was so long ago that it was still a paper test. Maybe that's part of the problem. The computer thing. What about the computer sheets with the bubbles? I liked the bubbles - we understood each other. This sliding scale test that adjusts itself to be harder if you get questions right just seems a little scary.

Plus it's a four hour monstrosity that I get to begin with 75 minutes to write two essays. Then the verbal and math, and an extra section that they stick in to try out new questions - they don't tell you which one it is. Somehow that doesn't seem fair.

I have to say, I feel much better about all this after venting on the blog. I am, after all, very good at talking myself in and out of things. So, now, all that remains is to banish this sick feeling in my stomach, and get on with it. I'm listening to Bill Evans right now, which usually does wonders to calm me, so Bill, work your magic!

Tallyho!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Blogs are nice that way.

Good luck with the test. I hope it is going well for you.

Let us know!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

uh god...it makes me sick to even think that i will have to take this test too. i've been putting it off. i'm not sure i'm ready to even think about it yet. uh.

i hope it went well though! (and i don't doubt that it did)

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home