starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Pssst! Wanna buy an almond - cheap?

So, as a break from worrying about the impending threat of North Korea, I've been reading about these almond heists that have been plaguing California. Yes, apparently robbers have been making off with almonds from farms in California, to the total tune of 1.5 million so far. They are calling them "nutnabbers" (which I won't even touch, as it's too obvious for even me to mock). These guys are not amateurs - they are not clipping the cyclone fence in black clothing and shoveling nuts into garbage bags, then sneaking away. They steal whole trucks filled with them - the last robbery was 44,000 pounds of nuts.

So the first thought that occurred to me - where does one find a fence for almonds? I mean, it's not like you can go downtown and sell them out of the trunk of your car under an overpass or something. We're talking a specific market here. The police say that they must have a buyer already lined up, someone overseas, because there's less paperwork. Sort of like lining up a buyer for the Mona Lisa before you steal it.

Anyway, that's it for the national news. Now, back to the latest impending threat to the world's greatest bully: the U.S. of A.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Froyd said...

I have had nothing to do with those, I swear.

8:42 PM  
Blogger erin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:25 PM  
Blogger erin said...

yeah right - I can see the headlines now: Uff Da! Kingpin of Fiendish Almond Ring Bemidji-Born!

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't there some kind of poison that can be extracted from almonds? Or is that peach pits? Wait, am I thinking of anthrax?

Man, I've got to start sleeping more than 3 hours a day.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home