starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Deadlines, please

In order to get anything done, I need deadlines. This has been the case since I was in second grade and I waited midnight the night before my project on volcanoes was due to wake up my mom and announce it. Being the good mommy that she was, she got up with me, made hot chocolate, and we put the project together. But, that night, we set a dangerous precedent. Ever since then, I've been hooked on deadlines.

Thing is, I'm not sure this is a good thing for a writer. Sure, a journalist. Definitely, a grantwriter, the career that I believe honed my penchant for deadlines into a dependency. Because I don't seem to be able to finish anything without them. Is it possible that I cannot be self-motivated?

So, the reason this comes up is that I was literally unable to finish this one story until the very postmark deadline day for the contest I wanted to send it to. I can't help it. I love that rush, the way everything becomes crystal clear when you're down to hours, even minutes. The ruthless prioritization that must accompany this last-minute dash, because you just know you can't dither over things. I am able to focus in a way that is just not possible most of the time.

This is probably unhealthy. I will spend the rest of my life setting up fake deadlines for myself to force me to finish stories. There must be a prescription for this kind of thing.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Seredne said...

I see that you figured out the sidebar - congrats! I'm assuming you set yourself a blogger deadline. :-P

6:56 AM  
Blogger kj said...

hello, i come to you from jessie's blog. i get the deadlines: i think they work because you know you finally have to let it go. finally!
you have to!

:)

11:04 AM  
Blogger erin said...

kj - yes, i think that's it! it doesn't matter what it looks like, you have to give it up. for someone that can tinker with things ad nauseum, its a relief!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home