starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

My Uncles Brian

I have two Uncles Brian, my dad’s brother and my mom’s sister’s husband (with me so far?). They are both dying. Not in the sense of “we’re all dying, day by day.” These guys are dying. They are both in stage four of cancer, the “we’ll just try to keep them comfortable” phase. One has malignant tumors on his spine, the other has them cropping up all over, but the ones that are going to do the deed are those that have sprouted in his lungs.

Whenever I talk to my parents, I get the updates on both of them (one lives in Wisconsin, the other in Florida). And I see it in my parents, their burgeoning realization that their friends, their peers, are dying. My dad, especially, is not dealing well. His brother Brian is his younger brother, and I think somewhere down deep he thinks he has failed to protect his younger brother. I just ache for him. He is not an emotive soul. He buries it down deep, and does his best to appear to be handling it.

As his child, and someone who uses the same techniques, I don't know whether to pierce the shell, or just let him try to find some peace behind it. I have a general rule: I don’t ask. If someone wants to talk, I will listen all night, but I don’t ask. I don’t like to dig into someone’s buried feelings without their permission. Even asking if someone is okay sometimes feels too intrusive. Although upfront and blunt about some things, I’m a pretty deeply private person and I try to respect that in other people. I want to be the one person that doesn’t ask what is wrong, the person who will simply recognize that all is not great, but allow you to exist for a moment in silence, or talk about something else.

But sometimes that feels like the wrong thing. Obviously, this is my dad, and I’m allowed to pry. I’m allowed to dig in there, to tell him up front that I know what is going on and I’m thinking of him. But it’s so counterintuitive for me. It feels awkward to me, and I'm sure to him, since we’re cut from the same cloth. Rusty lines of communication. For years, for most of our lives, my dad, my brother and I have existed with minimal communication, trusting completely in the love and loyalty of the others, so much so that we don’t affirm it very often. Maybe that’s wrong. I don’t know. When I brought it up to my brother, he said, “we know how we feel, we don’t need to say it for it to be there.” Which is exactly how I feel. But I don’t know if it’s right. In fact, I know it’s not right here. But I’m rusty, and I’m sure my dad is too. How do we start to talk again, or for the first time, about death and love and siblings and mortality and health and afterlife and religion. How do you begin?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Even though my son died I feel so incompetant at dealing with others who have had loss.

During my sons funeral I wanted to put a big sign on my forehead that said "I know you don't know what to say to me".

However, I do know that this can
be the best thing to admit and say.

Just be as honest as you can for your dad. Tell him you want to be there for him, but aren't sure of yourself and what he needs. If he says "Nothing" than just keep calling to talk to him.

You will be fine, just keep persevering. It's really all you can do.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Erin,
While in Bemidji, I drove past Dunn Bros. and imagined I saw you drinking coffee through the window. Well, actually it was a girl with short, dark hair that looked an awful lot like you that brought you into my mind. And this is what made me miss you.

I hope you find the words that will help, not only your dad, but you get through these tough times. There's a trickle effect to loss...and I have a feeling that you are both in need of each other--whether that need is spoken or not.

Lots of love to you. I really do miss you!

9:31 PM  
Blogger erin said...

thanks to both of you for your kind words. one nice thing about my family is that even if we don't say it, the support is there. this time, i just have to say it. and the support from you just makes it easier.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home