starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sweet Corn & Porch Sleeping

These are two of perhaps the finest delights for me, and the best things about moving back to the Midwest. Sweet corn is in! Pickup trucks by the side of the road, a dozen for three dollars, slip your money through the rolled down window and take it out of the back. I love that. Mmmm. Sweet corn.

And the other object of this post: porch sleeping. Ah, the delights of porch sleeping. I'm aware that by no means is the Midwest the only place where you can porch sleep in the summertime. But really, in my opinion, the best part of summertime here is the nighttime. Light breeze, damp and cool, through the screen, loons and frogs and birds burbling around, critters crashing periodically through the trees. Faint sounds from parties and bonfires drifting across the lake. Sincerely one of my favorite things in the world, porch sleeping. When I was a kid we sometimes slept out on my grandma's pontoon boat tied to the pier. And when I was lucky, and my cousin wasn't around, I got to sleep at my aunt's house in my cousin's bed, which was on a big screened-in second story porch at their cottage on the other side of the lake. Of course, in general I'm a big fan of porches. In fact, among family and friends I am famous for commenting on every house we drive past, "Look at that great porch!" That and gushing over every lilac bush I come upon in the spring.

It takes so little to make me happy.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Sometimes I think building a house is a waste of time and money when, in reality, all one needs is a nice porch.
:)

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home