starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Back Inside

Oy. Slowly returning to electronica from about 10 days of semi-enforced computer abstinence. I forced myself to get outside and enjoy the summer and blow off some work. Yup. It was tough to talk myself into that one, but I twisted my arm, you know? Anyway, basically I've been doing things like mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, transplanting pine trees, good stuff like that. Then all of a sudden, today, while I was mowing the lawn (again - we have a lot of lawn), a story that's been hovering over my head finally came down to say hello. You know, when you realize you're narrating and you're not sure if you've been doing it out loud? I was trying something new, because I was scared and stuck (see earlier post). Instead of just sitting in front of the computer feeling miserable for not accomplishing anything, and simultaneously feeling guilty and miserable for not being outside enjoying the beautiful weather (two whammies with one stone), I was just utterly ignoring my work, to see if it would creep out to me, like the chipmunk that lives under our deck and likes to lick the milk out of my cereal bowl. And it did! Granted, not a very efficient or productive way to work, but it was nice way to pass the time during writer's block.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home