starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Back in Minnesota... again

yup. I'm back from the second of my two whirlwind vacations this summer. This one to Wisconsin and then Ohio, on the train. Oh, yes my friends, the journey was a blur of green fields and well, more green fields. And some trees. But I do love the train. Even when it's so late that you might miss your connection and they threaten to put you on a bus!?! Yuck. I hate the bus. And the bus from Chicago to Detroit Lakes? Long yuck. But I did make my connection, did end up on the right train.

As usual, I thought I would do all sorts of blogging during my vacation about my fun vacation activities. Ha. When will I learn? I had access to a computer for a good part of my trip, but it remained stubbornly peripheral in my vision. I had no impulse to check my e-mail, much less blog. I was too busy doing fun things I do far too little of, such as waterskiing, and going to baseball games. And shopping! Yay for shopping at cute import stores conveniently situated next to vegetarian restaurants in lovely little hippie towns in Ohio. Specifically, I'm talking about Yellow Springs. If you ever find yourself passing through the area (not too far off I-70), it is definitely worth a stop.

And as for baseball, I checked out the Dayton Dragons game with friends one night. Very cute little park, hometown crowd, and when a Dragon player hit a home run, the red eyes of the dragons on the scoreboard would flash and steam would roll out of their nostrils to the tune of an extremely loud foghorn. Does it get any better?

Anyway, I have more tales to tell, one of which has to do with a music festival, a migraine and a heavenly grilled cheese sandwich (sounds like a joke: a migraine, a music festival and a grilled cheese sandwich walked into a bar...). But another day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home