starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Deep Breath Day

My mother-in-law left this morning. Did I mention she's my landlord as well? Luckily, she's cool. She left in her wake a washer, a new fridge, a door to our sunroom, and a new deck. She also worked us like slaves. For two weeks.

I don't mind hard work. Especially when it's all to my own benefit. Our old refrigerator was about forty years old, one of those rounded jobs with the pull lever handle and a freezer the size of a shoebox that we defrosted once a week. It looked cool, vintage, but really sucked the electricity. Plus, it didn't keep anything cold, and so I have lived for years without ice cream. Or ice. Now, I have a lovely little fridge that has two ice trays and a pint of Haagen-Daz Dulce de Leche ice cream (my fav). Heavenly.

But there's a trade off. I'm a solitary soul. I need frequent periods of aloneness to replenish my energy, my goodwill, my serenity. Entertaining for two weeks is definitely a drain. She left this morning and I spent the rest of the morning doing laundry with my new washer, reading and drinking coffee. Then, out of the blue, I got a whopper migraine. It caught me upside the head, I wasn't paying attention to the signs. It just came because it could, because I was alone and had no obligations. I'm also one of those people who usually only gets sick on vacation because I have the time. Yup. So, then, I spent the rest of my solitary day with the shades pulled on the couch with my microwaveable herb bag wrapped around my head. Finally, by using all my hard-learned Jedi tricks, I banished it before it could blossom into a multi-day affair. So here I am, up all night probably. I think I'll take my solitary time now and curl up with my book and some mac-n-cheese (my ultimate comfort food).

Okay, that's like three whiney posts in a row. I promise, I'm done being a big baby now. Thanks for putting up with me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Glad you're feeling better. Enjoy your alone time and good luck with school starting. (I'm feeling a little twinge of jealousy, and a big twinge of homesickness for third floor HS.)

Oh, and I like the new profile photo. Pretty.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home