starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Upcoming GRE Spooktacular

So I signed up for the GRE today. I’m taking it on Halloween, which seemed appropriate for some reason. But it is also the last day of October (which you may or may not be aware of). I actually strategically chose that day due to some fine print that I only discovered yesterday, stating that you can only take the test once per calendar month. That only gives me two tries: one in October, one in November. It was a bit of a panic when I discovered this, because it means that I have to really kick ass this month. But also something of a relief, because, after all the planning and the waiting for deadlines, at last something is zooming up. The process is beginning, and now I don’t have to drive myself crazy sitting around thinking and waiting anymore (since we all know about my thriving need for deadlines and resultant procrastination).

I also took the Diagnostic Test that came with the GRE book that I picked up at B&N on Sunday. I did poorly, but somehow it made me feel better. I missed a lot of math questions, which did not surprise me, and mostly showed me that my skills are rusty as hell. Usually the math problems can be solved using logic if you go about it right. Except the ones that involve 2 &pi r and &pi r2 and the eternal question: which one of these is circumference and which is area?

It’s strange, re-entering the world of standardized testing after a 10 year hiatus. It amazes me that my brain used to function so well in this environment. I had the system down, I was skilled at the bureaucracy surrounding the education system. I knew just what they wanted me to say, even when it was multiple choice, even when I didn’t know the answer.

Things are different now. My brain does not operate that way anymore. Or maybe I’m rusty. Or maybe I killed too many brain cells during college and the following four years in Aspen. But mostly now standardized tests just strike me as lame. What a lame way to decide if someone can get into your school. I realize they need a method, but standardized testing really says so little, especially when you’re talking about people entering graduate school, law school, etc. All it really shows is how well someone operates within the system. Maybe that’s their point. The cynical side of me says, yes, yes, all they really want is someone who they know will perpetuate their system and work smoothly and easily within it. Clearly, I will have to set these feelings aside and jump through the requisite hoops to get to where I want to be. Ah, well, compromise again.

Another thing today’s Diagnostic Test showed me: no matter how many times it pops up on standardized tests, I will never remember what abstemious means.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I'm not sure whether I should be proud of the fact that I've worked at Barnes & Noble for two full weeks now and not purchased a single book. I guess I haven't really considered it an option. A 30% discount doesn't change the fact that I'm almost too broke to buy food, let alone books.

I do need to pick up a study book for the GRE Subject Test, though. My store doesn't have it in, and I don't really want to buy it there anyway...since I got the job by giving the managers the impression that I had no specific plans for my MA and would be interested in advancement within the company.

Anyway...happy reading and studying!

11:46 AM  
Blogger erin said...

oh, god, when I worked at Barnes & Noble (a brief 4 month stint post-college) I spent nearly each paycheck on books. It was ridiculous. When I quit to move to CO I had four hundred dollars. Oh, those were the days!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

I've NEVER been good at standardized testing and the GRE scares the holy hell out of me. I wish I would have taken it sooner after surviving algebra...I think it would have helped...but those were the days when I was still in GRE denial.

Anyway, happy Halloween and GOOD LUCK!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home