starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Coffee with Jessie

I miss coffee with Jessie. Every week, the renewed pledge to "actually get some work done this time." Setting up our laptops facing each other, giant mugs of coffee set carefully to the sides. Then spending four hours ignoring the flashing cursor as we talk about what's out the window, what's in our minds, what's on the radio, what's on our minds, what we are wearing, what's on our minds...

you get the picture. I drive by Dunn Bros. on my way into town every Tuesday morning, and right then, every week, I miss Jessie.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Awe. I bet she misses you, too. I have a weekly coffee/friend ritual as well and it has been a really long time since we've done it. You've inspired me to start again.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

awwww...shit, dude. i miss you too! i was afraid that you had already started to forget about me. i still go to dunn bros. when i'm early for work. i still order a big, fat MUG of coffee. and then i sit down--and every. single. time. i think of you. right now i'm laughing at the thought of those little people walking on the railing by the lake! ha!

i swear, those "study sessions" were the best part of my graduate student experience. thank god for you...and coffee. ;) i think my life might have been different if i hadn't met you. remember that late night conversation we had with you standing in the door of my office in hagg sauer? yeah...that was the night i heard my heart speak...and when i decided it was in my best interest to listen up and follow it.

I love ya, Erin. And I miss you--to the nth degree!

8:38 PM  
Blogger kj said...

erin, i don't even know jessie and i miss having coffee with her!

the friendship and connection you both have with eachother is heartwarming to hear about. i hope you find a way to have that cup of coffee soon.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home