starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Long Live Classic Rock!

If I had to pick theme music for Minnesota, it would be classic rock. I'm not generally much of a fan, but it has become almost standard listening in my car since I've moved here. It just seems to fit the setting perfectly, the ideal soundtrack for gravel road driving. Perfect example: This morning, sunrise, I am driving down a white road that seems neverendingly straight between dark-stubbled fields. The sky is lightening and gray, and there is a rim of pink above the black trees that line the horizon for 360 degrees. And, well, there's no two ways about it, I am hauling ass, and listening to a crazy 15 minute live version of Smoke On The Water. Where else could you hear such a thing at sunrise, I ask you? Following that, in approximate order, were: Mississippi Queen, Sweet Melissa, Jackson Browne, and a little AC/DC, all played at the obscenely loud level that seemed suitable this morning. It took me a while to get over my embarrassment over my secret predilection for classic rock, but I am no longer ashamed - I am a classic rock convert. My college roommate would be soooo proud! (Are you listening, Carito?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

I hope you weren't making fun of Jackson Browne. He ranks up there as one of my favorites. No, I'm not kidding!
:P
And your description of driving make me miss my early morning commutes.

8:50 AM  
Blogger erin said...

I have to admit it took me a while to appreciate Jackson Browne, but said college roommate opened my eyes. Of course, I pretended she didn't, and mocked her regularly, but hey, isn't that what love's about?

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home