starting in second gear

why bother with first?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota

It’s nice to just send something out into space, so much more vague and abstract (and pleasantly so) than having my thoughts in print, right there, in black and white. Blogs are on the web, which is some ephemeral technology that I don’t fully understand anyway, and can’t really comprehend in the same way that I can’t really comprehend a billion dollars. Meaningless. Therefore I write all kinds of things that I probably would never say or write in real life, because it tickles me and it doesn’t really do any harm anyway because in a few days the entry will be buried in the archives and the three people that have read it will be busy with other things.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Keep Off The Grass!

Okay, so yesterday I got chastised (well, I got a dirty look, anyway) for walking on the grass, instead of choosing one of the myriad paved paths that crisscross the campus, trying to predict any possible path one might be interested in taking. Well, there wasn't a path that anticipated my needs, so being the adventurous soul that I am I struck out on my own. I was pulled up short by a disapproving look from a passerby indicating that I should keep off the grass. I kept going anyway, but what is up with that?
Oh, yes, by all means, save the grass - it is endangered, isn't it? Since when did grass become so prized that we are only allowed to look, not touch, like it's a piece of art? It's GRASS. How did it gain status over all the other plants that seek to populate our lawns? Is it prettier? Not really. Easier to maintain? Not hardly and if you doubt me go to any suburban neighborhood on an Saturday afternoon and witness the extensive landscape maintenance taking place.
Okay, so if that's not it, what is the redeeming feature of grass? Well, it's nice to walk on in your bare feet, that I cannot dispute. Too bad that is frowned upon. Moreover, if you do choose to rebel and walk on it, you definitely cannot do so barefoot! If you did, with the chemicals used to maintain said lovely-to-walk-on-grass, your children would have three heads.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

hahahaha! stupid grass. if I had had some coffee this morning, I'd think of something more clever to say besides ha ha ha stupid grass. So I guess...yeah. Boy, I'm going to have trouble in class today. I can just feel it. I think I need to go home.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home